The Museum of Musical Instruments is housed in the newly renovated Grassi Museum, conveniently located near the Leipzig city centre, only a few steps from the Opera and the Gewandhaus, the famous concert hall. Other important musical museums including the Bach-Archiv, the Mendelssohn House and the Schumann House are close by.
The Museum of Musical Instruments opened for the first time on the 30th of May 1929. From its beginning, the Museum has been part of Leipzig University. Its activities include research and education, and it is open to all friends of music.